[Cryptography] Collisions w/SHA-1 ~$100,000 TODAY

ianG iang at iang.org
Sat Oct 10 14:14:08 EDT 2015

On 10/10/2015 17:41 pm, Scott Elcomb wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 11:40 AM, ianG <iang at iang.org> wrote:
>> Can anyone provide a pointy-eared boss description of what a *freestart*
>> collision is?
>
> The closest I've found is "A freestart collision is a collision where
> the attacker can choose the initialisation vector."
>

> Source: <http://crypto.stackexchange.com/a/29696>
>
> In the Damgard-Merkle construction for hash functions the compression
> function takes as input:
>
> * a message block and
> * a chaining value.
>
> For the very first block there is not previous "chaining value".
> Instead a particular value, called an initialisation vector (IV) is
> given.
>
> A freestart collision is a collision where the attacker can choose the IV.

Thanks to Scott and Philipp for (almost identical) answers.  That I
understand.

I guess the next question would be, how long we expect the freestart
limitation to last as a meaningful barrier to full SHA1 collision attacks.

It is fascinating to watch.  11 years after the Shandong Hashquake, SHA1
is still saying "I'm not dead yet!"

iang