[Cryptography] Collisions w/SHA-1 ~$100,000 TODAY

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Thu Oct 8 10:37:33 EDT 2015

FYI -- 64-GPU cluster produces cheap SHA-1 collisions.

“We just successfully broke the full inner layer of SHA-1.

We now think that the state-of-the-art attack on full SHA-1 as described in 2013 may cost around 100,000
dollar renting graphics cards in the cloud.”

"However, we showed that graphics cards are much faster for these attacks and we now estimate that a full SHA-1 collision will cost between 75,000 and 120,000 dollar renting Amazon EC2 cloud over a few months today, in early autumn 2015."

"This implies that *collisions are already within the resources of criminal syndicates*, almost two years earlier than previously expected, and one year before SHA-1 will be marked as unsafe in modern Internet browsers."

https://sites.google.com/site/itstheshappening/shappening_article.pdf

https://sites.google.com/site/itstheshappening/shappening_PR.pdf

https://sites.google.com/site/itstheshappening/

The Shappening: freestart collisions for SHA-1