[Cryptography] Insecure Chip 'n' PIN starts tomorrow

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Oct 1 12:31:32 EDT 2015

In article <CAB7TAM=86+aXkfzgdax66JPNQ1GKgzpwqJvwrEeCaOfL=5dLmA at mail.gmail.com> you write:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>> With chip+signature, you say that's not my signature, and now it's up
>> to to the merchant and the bank to produce a signature that looks like
>> yours.
>

>Here in the USA, you're generally asked to sign a digitizer pad, which
>means the CC companies have many digitized copies of you signature stored
>on their computers.  Producing one shouldn't be too difficult, and in the
>doesn't demonstrate much.

I always write "not me" or "fluffy" on the digitizer pad.  A while ago
there was an amusing web site in which a guy wrote ever more egregious
non-signatures to try to get clerks' attention, with negligible success.

It's clear that the actual security model of chip+signature or for
that matter swipe+signature is rather unlike the nominal one, but as
far as I can tell other than the hidden cost of the banks or merchants
eating the fraud, it works to the benefit of card users.

R's,
John