[Cryptography] And it goes on...

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Sat Nov 28 09:37:33 EST 2015

At 06:15 AM 11/28/2015, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>I'm listening to a purported security "expert" (a professor at Georgetown named Bruce Hoffman) explaining on NPR's Weekend Morning Edition that the Paris attacks were possible because of encryption.
>
>Scott Simon also fed him a question about whether this was all because of Edward Snowden, which Prof. Hoffman of course ran with.
>
>This "expert" is also claiming that there are diminished resources these days for the anti-terrorism agencies (which is of course the opposite of true.)
>
>No attempt is being made to probe whether any of his claims are correct.
>
>No actual communications security expert was brought in as a counterpoint.

The fact that Prof Hoffman is from Georgetown tells you all you need to know.  Virtually every university within 100mi of Wash DC has a captive CS dept:

https://news.vice.com/article/the-most-militarized-universities-in-america-a-vice-news-investigation

The Most Militarized Universities in America: A VICE News Investigation

--
Re encryption: the people at NSA/CIA/DHS can't be so stupid as to think that compromised encryption is going to increase the security of the US.  Yet they seem to keep saying "but encryption".

We know what the FBI's motive is: they're willing to throw all of our security under the bus to make their own jobs 5% easier.

But what is NSA/CIA/DHS's end-game?

Why are these people requesting *unilateral disarmament* wrt encryption?