[Cryptography] Security of a permute-only system?

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Wed Nov 25 23:27:05 EST 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 03:34:15PM -0800, Henry Baker wrote:
> Given a message source that's already "whitened", but otherwise unencrypted, how much security can be achieved strictly through an unknown, but random permutation?
>
> I.e., if n=171, then a random permutation of size n would appear to require 1026 bits to specify it.
>
> Suppose we simply applied our random permutation to each block of 171 pre-whitened bits.

Wouldn't this be vulnerable to multiple-anagraming attacks whenever we
have known (or even just recognizable) plaintext spanning multiple blocks?

ciao,

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn at astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA