[Cryptography] ISIS’ OPSEC Manual

John Ioannidis ji at tla.org
Mon Nov 23 17:07:23 EST 2015

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 9:02 PM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> It turns out that a 34-page guide to operational security (.pdf) that ISIS members advise recruits to follow, offers some clues.  Aaron Brantly and other researchers with the Combating Terrorism Center at West Point’s military academy uncovered the manual and other related documents from ISIS forums, social accounts and chat rooms.  The originals are in Arabic, but the center provided WIRED with translated versions of a number of documents that had been passed through Google Translate.1

I'm not sure how to parse this last sentence. Does it imply that the
CTC at WP does not have Arabic translators? Or does it simply mean
that wired was not given the internally-translated version, but rather
one that was passed through google translate (for that matter, why
weren't they given the original? Surely Wired can afford an Arabic
translator).

/ji