[Cryptography] Pearl Harbor and Crypto

Donald Eastlake d3e3e3 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 14:41:50 EST 2015

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> Earlier in his career, Osama Bin Laden used (Iridum?) satphones for communications.

Nope, Inmarsat I believe, which is cheaper than iridium <www.inmarsat.com>.

Note that Iridium was saved from going out of business due to
bankruptcy by US DoD funding. While nominally run by a private
corporation these days, with headquarters in McLean, Virginia, I would
not be surprised if it was cooperating with the US government even
beyond that, of the two known active Iridium ground stations, one is
operated by the US Defense Information Systems Agency in Hawaii. But
if you need communications service no matter where you are in the
world where you can see the sky, from the top of Mt Everest to the
South pole, Iridium <www.iridium.com> is great.

Thanks,
Donald
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 d3e3e3 at gmail.com