[Cryptography] WSJ: WH wants to meet Techies in DC re encryption

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Sat Nov 21 14:38:46 EST 2015

At 09:52 AM 11/21/2015, Jerry Leichter wrote:
>Remember when Microsoft used to attack Linux for being anti-capitalist?  Someone - I forget who - proposed using Microsoft marketing techniques against them: Every time anyone who wanted to help the campaign mentioned "the Windows operating system", they should *always* say "the deeply flawed Windows operating system".  Repeat a phrase often enough and it becomes part of common knowledge.  This is how marketing works; this is how politics works (not that it's easy to draw a line between them any more).
>
>The fact is, LE *is* trying to get the government to dictate how to build the products sold to you and me and all the liberals and all the civil libertarians and all the NRA members and all the Trump followers and everyone else out there.  And they are trying to dictate that they be built in ways that *hurt us as individuals*, in the name of what *they claim* is some greater good.  Stopping that isn't going to happen by cryptographers talking to other cryptographers about what a dumb idea "golden keys" are.  The most effective way of stopping would be convincing those who are the natural audience for the "help LE stop the bad guys" pitch to instead see the issue the same way they see gun control (also pushed as a way to "help the LE stop the bad guys").

I believe that the concept Jerry is trying to describe is now known as "microaggression".

Every time the CIA/NSA/FBI/DHS/GCHQ/etc. talks about demonizing encryption, this is a microaggression on free citizens, civil liberties and the Constitution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microaggression_theory

"[microaggression] came to encompass the casual degradation of any socially marginalized group"

It now appears that those who believe in free speech, liberty and the Constitution have become a socially marginalized group.

BTW, I haven't been able to determine whether uaggression belongs to the CGS or the MKS system of units.