[Cryptography] Long-term security (was Re: ratcheting DH strengths over time)

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Thu Nov 19 23:54:25 EST 2015

On 11/19/15 at 5:23 AM, leichter at lrw.com (Jerry Leichter) wrote:

>Apple sells at premium prices, but not because its buyers want
>devices that last longer - it's because they are (perceived to
>be, if you want to be a cynic) better made.

Well, assuming that Apple can charge higher prices because
people think they are better machines, people are looking for
one of two values:

  (1) It will last longer.

  (2) They will fail less often.

SInce I'm running on a MacBook Pro which is no longer supported
with parts, I guess I'm at least partially in the first camp. I
do enjoy having a reliable machine too, although my machine is
starting to show its age.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | Security is like Government  | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | services. The market doesn't | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | want to pay for them.        | Los Gatos,
CA 95032