[Cryptography] Burner phone == One Time (i)Pad

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Thu Nov 19 12:30:40 EST 2015

Anyone who's watched a recent movie or TV show knows about burner phones.  They seem to have become the 21st century version of a "one time pad".

What's the most important criterion for a burner phone?  It should be *cheap*; only the most well-heeled terrorists would use an iPhone as a burner.

There's much less need to encrypt a burner phone.  In fact, one might purposely put false/misleading information onto such a phone prior to throwing it away.  (And *delete* it, just to piss off Mr. Vance, who hates cellphone software that actually deletes data when you press "delete".)

"investigators were able to access the data on the phone, including a detailed map of the concert hall and an SMS messaging saying “we’re off; we’re starting.”  Police were also able to trace the phone’s movements."

"Ironically, the suspects were overheard discussing the need to frequently swap out their cellphones."

https://theintercept.com/2015/11/18/signs-point-to-unencrypted-communications-between-terror-suspects/