[Cryptography] Unencrypted SMS

Hasan Diwan hasan.diwan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 17:32:56 EST 2015

On 18 November 2015 at 11:44, Jim Windle <jim.windle at gmail.com> wrote:

> If my high school French is still any good, looks as if the phone
> recovered in Paris had been using unencrypted SMS to coordinate among the
> terrorists.  Perhaps someone can provide a good and complete translation.

I used
http://units.d8u.us/summary/?url=http://www.numerama.com/politique/131220-un-sms-en-clair-sur-un-telephone-a-aide-les-enqueteurs-a-paris.html&language=french
to obtain a summary of the page (the "summary:" key) and have attempted to
translate this:

After the deaths at Bataclan, detectives discovered an unencrypted mobile
in a bin. Mediapart checked this with Le Monde and it was found to be
accurate. Investigators could recover the information off iOS and certain
Android devices. At Sunday, le Figaro claimed that the bombers arrived in a
black Polo, registered in Belgium. This was the same method as the Charlie
Hebdo attackers used to get into France.

Hope that helps. -- H