[Cryptography] Unencrypted SMS

Hubert A. Le Van Gong hubert at levangong.org
Wed Nov 18 19:33:37 EST 2015

On 18/11/2015 11:44, Jim Windle wrote:
> If my high school French is still any good, looks as if the phone
> recovered in Paris had been using unencrypted SMS to coordinate among
> the terrorists.  Perhaps someone can provide a good and complete
> translation.
>
> http://www.numerama.com/politique/131220-un-sms-en-clair-sur-un-telephone-a-aide-les-enqueteurs-a-paris.html

Here is a quick translation.

Thanks,
Hubert

=========
As the RAID & BRI police forces were attacking at 4h30 AM to try to
capture presumed accomplices of the terrorist attacks (among them, a
woman who exploded her vest), revelation about the investigation could
reignite the debate on mobile phone encryption.

Based on information from Mediapart, confirmed this morning by Le Monde,
the investigators working on the Bataclan (concert hall) massacre have
discovered a mobile phone in a trashcan and were able to read its
content which apparently was not encrypted as is usually the case for
iOS 9 or some Android phones.

On the phone, investigators have found a text message saying "we've left
- we're starting".

Even though the name of the recipient and the exact identity of the
sender are unknown, the police is convinced this is the message used by
the coordinator of the attacks of Friday evening in Paris and
Saint-Denis. The police was able to subpoena geolocation data associated
to those numbers - e.g. which cell towers got activated - so that they
could pinpoint one of the jihadists stop-off points, in Alfortville. A
first clue that may have lead the police to the commando entrenched in
Saint-Denis, commando that is under attack this Wednesday morning.

On Sunday, Le Figaro published the testimony of a man who was a few
streets away from the Bataclan (concert hall) on Friday evening, and saw
a black Polo (car) with Belgian license plates and suspicious looking
passengers. "I clearly saw the driver and the passenger's faces because
their faces were lit as they were typing on their smartphones".

Even though the debate around smartphone encryption will be reignited
with this information and Tim Cook's firm position on preserving the
privacy of his customers will become more and more difficult, it is
important to note that the investigators could have done the same
investigation without the discovery of this unencrypted text message.
The phone by itself contains a SIM card which allows to retrieve the
same geolocation data.
=========

email: hubert at levangong.org