[Cryptography] Unencrypted SMS

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Wed Nov 18 17:31:50 EST 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Jim Windle <jim.windle at gmail.com> wrote:

> If my high school French is still any good, looks as if the phone
> recovered in Paris had been using unencrypted SMS to coordinate among the
> terrorists.  Perhaps someone can provide a good and complete translation.
>

> http://www.numerama.com/politique/131220-un-sms-en-clair-sur-un-telephone-a-aide-les-enqueteurs-a-paris.html

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/11/paris-police-find-phone-with-unencrypted-sms-saying-lets-go-were-starting/

To me “On est parti on commence.” (“Let’s go, we’re starting”) could be a
very common message by normal folk.  Movie, dinner, ski, exercise....
  My guess is that most planning and discussion would be face to face and
not
digital because of the news coverage that focuses on electronic intercept
and
electronic targeting.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l