[Cryptography] Long-term security (was Re: ratcheting DH strengths over time)

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue Nov 17 22:25:56 EST 2015

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015, Ray Dillinger wrote:

> It is true.  The new smoke alarm units flatly presume that all ranges
> are electric and all ovens are either electric or microwave.  Any gas
> range or gas oven will set them off immediately.  If they are actually
> in the same room, they will even refuse to coexist with pilot lights.

Here in Australia, all new developments use optical smoke detectors, as
the radio-active ones are illegal (hazmat, you know).

> As a result they cannot be used by anyone who prefers cooking with gas.
> As most "foodies" in fact do.

My gas range does not trigger my optical alarm (the oven is electric, and
I will not have a gas oven).  The griller, however, when I overdo the
sausages...  I rarely use the oven.

In short, I appear to be covered, security-wise.