[Cryptography] ratcheting DH strengths over time

Roland C. Dowdeswell elric at imrryr.org
Mon Nov 16 12:59:47 EST 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 12:10:09AM +0000, ianG wrote:

> How could we do this in a DH protocol?  I would suggest a schedule over
> time.  Most or all of our implementations have a timebase available.
> Something like this:
>
> 2015 - 1024
> 2016 - 1280
> 2017 - 1536
> 2018 - 1792

A strategy that I have used in the past in the similar problem of
choosing a PCKS#5 PBKDF2 iteration count was to benchmark the
current machine and use it to calibrate the cost on the current
hardware.  This approach more or less naturally increases the key
size based on the improvements in hardware.  Of course, it doesn't
address people running old machines in some sense (security) but
it does in another (cost of computation.)

Maybe a similar strategy could be used for these key sizes?  That
is:  use the largest key size which can be reasonably computed on
the current machine as measured by the software with a specified
cost.  The specified cost should be set low enough that if you
calibrate on the most modern cutting edge machine, the cost on a
five year old box is unlikely to be onerous.

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://Imrryr.ORG/~elric/