[Cryptography] ratcheting DH strengths over time

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Mon Nov 16 13:19:26 EST 2015

On Mon, 16 Nov 2015 12:54:37 -0500 Jerry Leichter <leichter at lrw.com>
wrote:
> Our symmetric cryptography, on the other hand, is based on
> algorithms that we believe cannot be attacked using anything
> significantly better than a brute-force attack.

However, it is frequently the case that this proves false. See again
RC4, various hash functions, etc., and even various cryptographic
modes (like various block cipher modes) that prove less secure than
was previously believed.

Over the long term, one needs to be able to abandon one cipher suite
and move to another. Sadly, that has proven hard in practice.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com