[Cryptography] Post Quantum Crypto

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Mon Nov 16 08:32:48 EST 2015

At 11:58 PM 11/15/2015, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
>I've not seen any evidence that building scalable QC or proving it impossible requires new insights into theoretical physics.

Re 'new insights':

I disagree.

The physicists have (mostly) ignored the issues of *information* and information flow for the past 100+ years.

Actually trying to build a QC has forced physicists to address these issues directly.

The physicists still have lots of spurious infinities floating around -- e.g., infinite amounts of information -- that can't possibly be correct.  Indeed, QM seems to be screaming at us: "there's not enough storage capacity in nature to encode all the bits for classical mechanics; you have to start 'sharing' bits".  E.g., the "holographic" models of QM.