[Cryptography] ratcheting DH strengths over time

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 20:56:13 EST 2015

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 4:10 PM, ianG <iang at iang.org> wrote:

> How could we do this in a DH protocol?  I would suggest a schedule over
> time.  Most or all of our implementations have a timebase available.
> Something like this:
>
> 2015 - 1024
> 2016 - 1280
> 2017 - 1536
> 2018 - 1792

There is no reason to use FFDH anymore save for legacy compatibility or a
catastrophic failure of ECC. Use ECDH instead.

Regarding RSA, there is no compelling reason to use RSA key sizes
>2048-bits for the next decade at least:

http://www.keylength.com/

I would put my money on a large quantum computer capable of breaking all
remotely usable key strengths of RSA, FFDH, and ECC being built before
practical non-quantum attacks against 2048-bit RSA are possible.

--
Tony Arcieri