[Cryptography] Post Quantum Crypto

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Thu Nov 12 16:28:38 EST 2015

At 07:53 AM 11/12/2015, Ron Garret wrote:
>On Nov 12, 2015, at 12:45 AM, Philipp Gühring <pg at futureware.at> wrote:
>> the scalability was demonstrated by D-Wave in the recent years.
>
>That is far from clear.
>
>The D-Wave device is not a quantum computer, it's a classical analog computer doing simulated annealing.
>
>And it's not even doing it all that well.
>
>www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=1400
>
>http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=2448
>
>Whether the D-Wave technology can be some day extended to implement real QC is an open question, but I'll give long odds against.

D-Wave should be called "FUD-Wave", from the old IBM FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt).  To the extent that state actors, criminals, whistleblowers and journalists are worried about crypto-cracking quantum computers, the small amount of money the govt gave to D-Wave has already paid off handsomely.

Technology doesn't even have to actually operate in order to bother people: remember Reagan's so-called "Star Wars" program ?

Remember the WWII Ghost Army with its inflatable tanks and Bell Labs sound recordings of tank noises ?

Remember Patton's command of the fictitious First United States Army Group ?