[Cryptography] Cryptogit

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Mon Nov 9 23:53:39 EST 2015

As some folk will know from my facebook feed, I have been struggling
with git over the past week.

With a considerable amount of hassle, I now have the systems running.
Its not pretty and there are good reasons for the usability horrors.
SSH and GIT both bump up against the PKI bootstrap problem when in
comes to sharing public keys. Fortunately that is the problem I am
currently working on and git is now one of the applications I hope to
make a lot easier to use with the Mesh.

Anyhoo. Let us imagine for a moment that it is really easy to connect
up to a git repo in the cloud. On your Google drive or your 1Tb
OneDrive or whatever.

Wouldn't it be really nice to be able to automatically encrypt the
data you store in the remote .git repo?

It probably wouldn't be all that hard to arrange either. Just a few
extensions to the git file format to write out encryption headers into
each of the object files and encrypt the body.

As folk have noted, proxy re-encryption 'recryption' can be used as
leverage to simplify the key management problem once a certain patent
expires in a couple of years.

Anyone interested?