[Cryptography] Literature on reusing same key for AES / HMAC?

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Mon Nov 9 09:15:38 EST 2015

>> The paper to refer to is
>> http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.106.5488&rep=rep1&type=pdf
> i can not imagine an article less relevant to actual cryptography.
> with no exception, our sym enc algos are practically pseudorandom
> functions/permutations. as soon as you can use the random oracle model
> to approximate your primitives, this entire reasoning evaporates.
You know, I've seen good arguments for use of theory and proofs in cryptography.  And I've seen good arguments that the whole proof enterprise as it currently exists today is of little value.

But this is the first time I've seen an argument saying "let's pick the parts of the theory we like and ignore the parts we don't like".

"Practically pseudorandom functions/permutations".  Ah, now there's a deep concept.
                                                        -- Jerry