[Cryptography] Clipperz

Jonas Magazinius jonas.magazinius at assured.se
Tue Nov 3 20:08:55 EST 2015

Hi there,

We did a pentest of Clipperz some time ago
(https://cure53.de/pentest-report_clipperz.pdf). From what I remember,
they do encrypt your data client side and store the blob encrypted. The
key is derived from password, so unless they get ahold of the password
they should not be able to decrypt the blob. If you forget your password
there is no way of recovering your data. Naturally, since they provide
the website, and thereby control the code, they could include javascript
that steals your password as you enter it.

Take it for what it's worth, at least the issues we found are all fixed.

"Come back when you can install and pin down peer reviewed third party
crypto code in your browser".
Will do, working on it.

Cheers,
Jonas