[Cryptography] HTTPS usage at major media sites

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Sun Nov 1 23:54:21 EST 2015

Here are some observations and remarks on the use of crypto at certain
high-volume media sites.

Sites that redirect HTTP to HTTPS:
  https://www.washingtonpost.com/
  https://www.theintercept.com/

Sites that offer both HTTPS and HTTP, without redirecting:
  https://www.youtube.com/

Sites that redirect HTTPS to HTTP:
  http://www.nytimes.com/   (note 3)
  http://www.pbs.org/
  http://www.theguardian.com/
  http://www.thedailybeast.com/
  http://www.buzzfeed.com/
  http://www.bbc.co.uk/

Sites that present an invalid certificate (typically because the
CDN answers port 443, but the content originator never bothered
to obtain a certificate):
  https://www.npr.org/
  https://www.huffingtonpost.com/
  https://www.mcclatchydc.com/
  https://www.foxnews.com/
  https://www.cnn.com/
  https://www.latimes.com/
  https://www.reuters.com/

Sites with a botched HTTPS implementation, e.g. mixed content:
  https://www.thenation.com/
  https://www.nhk.or.jp/

**** Remarks ****

1) Only a smallish minority of media sites offer any semblance of
 useful HTTPS.

2) A year ago there were none, so this is progress.

3) A year ago, the New York Times CTO co-authored a blog post listing
 all the reasons why a newspaper site should use HTTPS.
   http://open.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/13/embracing-https/
 I find it amusing that the Washington Post took his advice, but his
 own paper did not.

4) Contrary to what it says in that blog post, applying HTTPS to a
 newspaper site provides little if any privacy.  That's because
 traffic analysis is too easy.  The article lengths and the pattern
 of image fetches give the game away.

 As I have said before:
   Metadata is data.
   A cryptosystem that leaks metadata is a cryptosystem that leaks.

 We seriously need to raise our game.  We need to come up with systems
 that do a much better job of protecting privacy.