[Cryptography] Why is ECC secure?

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Sun May 31 20:49:13 EDT 2015

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 1:43 AM, Ryan Carboni <ryacko at gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, the difference between ECC and RSA is that RSA is so simple that it
> can be incompetently implemented, and ECC is so complex that it can be
> incompetently implemented.

If you think this statement is true, I think it's just a reflection of your
own lack of understanding of ECC.

The underlying mathematics of ECC, much like RSA, are basic arithmetic.
It's the concepts that are perhaps harder to grasp. Both are difficult to
implement without timing side-channels.

> True, if you're talking about ECDSA, but ECDSA sucks. Use EdDSA and this
>> isn't a problem.
>>

> Nonce reuse is still a problem.

Use of unpadded RSA is still a problem. Turns out problems abound.