[Cryptography] open questions in secure protocol design?

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Fri May 29 20:08:25 EDT 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 7:30 AM, ianG <iang at iang.org> wrote:

>    PGP to 2.6.

Oh god... no, strongly disagree.

$ gpg --gen-key
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.18; Copyright (C) 2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Please select what kind of key you want:
   (1) RSA and RSA (default)
   (2) DSA and Elgamal
   (3) DSA (sign only)
   (4) RSA (sign only)
Your selection?

^^^ this is an unusable mess

>    Skype

Proprietary protocol. No comment. (I dislike proprietary protocols and
they're harder to have opinions on since their internals are obscured)

My understanding is they abandoned end-to-end encryption, FWIW.

>    Bitcoin

Strongly disagree. I have a long-form comment on this as part of this blog
post (see "A Bitcoin Crypto Meltdown")

http://tonyarcieri.com/the-death-of-bitcoin

--
Tony Arcieri