[Cryptography] "Most Americans Don't Mind Being on Candid Camera"

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Mon Mar 23 22:48:38 EDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 6:59 PM, Bill Frantz <frantz at pwpconsult.com> wrote:

> On 3/23/15 at 1:13 PM, mitch at niftyegg.com (Tom Mitchell) wrote:
>
>  My current bias is for more cameras in the hands of the public to balance
>> the abuses
>> by those in power.
>>

> Our local police force has a handout for people who have installed
> security cameras. It includes minimum technical recommendations (pixel
> resolution), recommendations on where to point it, and a way to inform the
> police so they can get the pictures when a crime has been committed near
> the camera.
>
> It seems to me that this arrangement has both plusses and minuses.

 Our local PD asked to have security cameras "registered".
That is all well and good but having a camera makes you subject to
subpoena and seizure of the media and images.  I think the law
is unclear what the local PD can ask or demand as well as the
citizen responsibility for disclosure and access.  Also will the owner
and operator have to show up in court.

I think bank cameras are a great example of good and bad use of images.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l