[Cryptography] Cheap forensic recorder

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Tue Mar 3 12:56:02 EST 2015

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 10:59 PM, Emin Gün Sirer <el33th4x0r at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> 1) We make the hardware and seal it in some sort of tamper evident resin.
>>

> You can buy that today. Here's the specs for that chip seated in resin:
> http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/resources/tpm_main_specification

Err where do I plug in the keyboard and screen? How do I use this system to
make the forensic investigation from?

Can I pull content off YouTube and watch it? Can I pull data off a hard
drive?

A TPM is designed to permit trusted code implementing a small number of
very security critical functions to operate in a trusted environment.
Things like public key crypto and such.

A TPM does not and cannot protect every O/S function and applications have
to be specially written to make use of it.

> 2) We set up a notary log infrastructure. Let N(t) be the output at time t.
>>

> Someone did that, too. That someone is me:
> http://virtual-notary.org

No thanks, I think I will use one that provides an SLA and is run by
someone who I trust and can act professionally in a public forum thank you.