[Cryptography] Proposed US ITAR changes would require prepublication approval for most crypto research

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Thu Jun 11 00:11:20 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 12:36 AM, pete <peter at m-o-o-t.org> wrote:

> Proposed US ITAR changes. New regs, for comment, not yet in law or in force

> www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2015-06-03/pdf/2015-12844.pdf

 One section seems to demand encryption:

"This rulemaking proposes that the electronic transmission of unclassified
‘‘technical data’’ abroad is not an ‘‘export,’’ provided that the data is
sufficiently secured to prevent access by foreign persons."

Since I have no control over how my ISP routes data... I can only assume
that
I have an obligation to secure it even between US offices and contractors.

Transferring a set of gerber file and stuffing instructions to a PWB house
in Asia seems to require paperwork.
Perhaps only internally to get a legal opinion...

More reading seems to be justified.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l