[Cryptography] Hypothetical WWII cipher machine.

Mark Atwood me at mark.atwood.name
Sat Jul 18 16:59:44 EDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015, at 22:56, Ray Dillinger wrote:
> Have a look, if you feel like thinking about the security of
> a Plot Device and possibly having a laugh and correcting my
> mistakes if I've made any obvious ones. The diagram and one-
> page explanation are at
>
> http://www.sonic.net/~bear/DiabolusCipherMachine.png

You also need to show this to a machinist, and ask him how easily it
could be made with circa 1936 machine tools.

Remember, no CNCing.

I'm looking at this Plot Device, trying to imagine machining the "boat
shaped" and "triangle shaped" parts to any real tolerance, without
having each device be a "it takes a master machinist.  A week. Each. Per
part."

..m

--
Mark Atwood <me at mark.atwood.name>