[Cryptography] "Office of Personnel Management Says Hackers Got Data of Millions of Individuals"

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Thu Jul 9 22:13:04 EDT 2015

On 07/09/2015 02:06 PM, Jerry Leichter wrote:
> In case you thought the previous hack that revealed data about 4.2 million Federal employees was too small to be bothered by ... OPM now says there was a *separate* hack that revealed data on 21.5 million individuals.

And the most recent hack is not just federal employees.  It's
people who've had federal background checks run by the OPM.  There
is an important distinction that the press tends to gloss over.

I know, because I got the billet-doux from this one, thanks to
my own most recent security clearance being one of those in the
date range that this attacker managed to steal.  I am not and
was not a federal employee during this time period.  For the
job involving that security clearance I was employed by a
private contractor.

				Bear