[Cryptography] De-Anonymizing

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Fri Jan 30 13:44:15 EST 2015

On Jan 30, 2015, at 8:11 AM, dan at geer.org wrote:
> Whether one or another kind of data can or cannot be anonymized is
> fast becoming irrelevant.  The more things you are or carry that can
> be a source of good information, the less the blinding of any one of
> them diminishes the overall probability that you are identifiable....
Speaking of which:  http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/01/29/science/ap-us-sci-data-privacy.html?ref=aponline&_r=0&pagewanted=all
"'Anonymized' Credit Card Data Not So Anonymous, Study Shows"

Basically - who needs RFID.  Patterns of what you buy and how you buy it will generally make you easily identifiable in the stream of credit card charges.

Work done at MIT - I haven't dug up the paper.
                                                        -- Jerry