[Cryptography] How the CIA Made Google

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Thu Jan 29 17:10:11 EST 2015

On Jan 29, 2015, at 3:11 PM, John Ioannidis <ji at tla.org> wrote:

> [I got this through cryptography@, so I'm removing the rest]
>
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 9:30 AM, John Young <jya at pipeline.com> wrote:
> https://medium.com/@NafeezAhmed/how-the-cia-made-google-e836451a959e
>
> Fascinating research, with gobs of suspects besides TLAs, Brin and Page,
> some here now, some here back then, as suspected then and now. Not
> that there is anything wrong with suspecting cpunks was made similarly.
>
> Lots of tin-foil-hattery in there.
Indeed.  The form of the argument is "all these people involved with DoD and NSA were involved with giving money to the project Sergey Brin was working on - obviously they were controlling Google".  Let's get real:  ARPA and other defense organizations were throwing money at pretty much everything that had to do with computers back in those days.  No surprise - the military and spy agencies saw how important this would be to them.  You can't find any American researcher - or any researcher who ever trained in the US or worked with an American co-worker - who you couldn't tar with similar accusations.  You'd have similar trouble finding any American (or

They approached Jeffrey Ullman - whose name was on the grants, and whose student Brin was - and, I'm sure, spun all kinds of accusations.  He basically told them to fuck off - which of course is just further proof that he's in on the conspiracy.

And I love the pictures that show one person standing next to another somewhere at some time.  See - they obviously work together.

> If there is one thing Google takes seriously, it's protecting their users' data against everyone (everyone outside Google, that is), often at great expense.
Well ... if you Want To Believe (cue X-Files music), Google works to keep the information available to itself *and its military/spy overlords* - it keeps *everyone else* out.
                                                        -- Jerry