[Cryptography] Imitation Game: Can Enigma/Tunney be Fixed?

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 12:41:20 EST 2015

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> Since The Imitation Game is playing & is quite likely to win some awards,
> I was wondering if anyone has written an analysis of the Enigma & Lorenz
> encryption systems using 2015 eyes?

Enigma is fatally flawed in its current design, AFAIK. Due to the nature of
how its rotors operate, it can't encrypt a letter to itself, introducing a
statistical bias into the ciphertext.

Enigma would need to be modified so all letters have equal probabilities.
Someone who knows the intricacies of these rotor machines better than me
might know what's involved.

--
Tony Arcieri