[Cryptography] New Encryption Standard of the Russian Federation GOST Grasshopper

Stephen Farrell stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie
Sat Jan 3 15:09:27 EST 2015

On 03/01/15 16:41, ianG wrote:

> I'm assuming you mean the last part:  How can their voice be heard?
>
> Well, about 6m back I took a straw poll on the question of one or many
> algorithms and posted it somewhere.  What it showed (I claim) is that
> there is about a 50:50 split between the maximalists and the
> minimalists.  Which contrasted to an alleged "consensus" in IETF that
> there should be many algorithms.

With how many folks did you make contact? I did see some traffic
here and one or two other places, but am not sure how broad a net
you cast.

> Another way is for people to reach out.  Easy to poo-poo and dismiss
> because IETF WGs have open lists.  But there is a fair percentage of
> people who decline to participate for other reasons.  An open list might
> not be enough.  Perhaps a survey to ask them?

I don't know how that'd pan out with the IETF's rough consensus
process (surveys being vulnerable to various effects) but thinking
about ways of reaching out is worthwhile yes. I'll feed that back.

Cheers,
S.