[Cryptography] New Encryption Standard of the Russian Federation GOST Grasshopper

ianG iang at iang.org
Sat Jan 3 11:41:02 EST 2015

On 2/01/2015 22:54 pm, Salz, Rich wrote:

>> ps; this argument as to the number of cipher suites bounces in and out
>> of the IETF lists from time to time.  But I'd also like to stress that
>> there are people who know stuff that do not participate there.  Their
>> voice can and should be heard.
>
> Serious question: how?

I'm assuming you mean the last part:  How can their voice be heard?

Well, about 6m back I took a straw poll on the question of one or many
algorithms and posted it somewhere.  What it showed (I claim) is that
there is about a 50:50 split between the maximalists and the
minimalists.  Which contrasted to an alleged "consensus" in IETF that
there should be many algorithms.

Another way is for people to reach out.  Easy to poo-poo and dismiss
because IETF WGs have open lists.  But there is a fair percentage of
people who decline to participate for other reasons.  An open list might
not be enough.  Perhaps a survey to ask them?

iang