[Cryptography] Cheap forensic recorder

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Sat Feb 28 16:46:18 EST 2015

On 02/27/2015 09:01 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> In particular i would ideally like
> a complete, signed record of every keystroke and the video output.

There exist keyloggers for X-windows.
  https://code.google.com/p/logkeys/

As for the video, note that "screencasting" is super
trendy these days.  YMMV, depending on exactly what
effect you are trying to achieve, but here's what I
use:

avconv                                  \
        -ar 44100                       \
        -f alsa                         \
        -i hw:0,0                       \
        -f x11grab -r 30                \
        -show_region 1                  \
        -s 854x480  -i :0.0+85,218      \
        -vcodec libx264                 \
        -preset ultrafast               \
        -crf 0                          \
        -ac 1                           \
        -y $ofile

You can look through the manual to figure out what
all those options do.

The idea of "ultrafast" is to get the stuff onto
disk as quickly as possible, with minimum realtime
CPU load.  I compress it later.

I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to make
that work.  In particular I had to compile my own
copy of avconv, since my distro didn't enable the
libx264 driver.

There is a lot more to the story.  I tried about
a hundred things that didn't work before settling
on something that pretty much does what I want.
YMMV.

If the question didn't apply to linux/X-windows,
then I have no firsthand knowledge, but I've seen
people using Camtasia for screencasting.  It seems
to know how to capture keystrokes as well as video.