[Cryptography] The Crypto Bone's Threat Model

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Sat Feb 28 14:32:45 EST 2015

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 3:07 PM, Jerry Leichter <leichter at lrw.com> wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2015, at 12:42 PM, Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote:
> > ... I'm one of those curmudgeons who misses diskettes with write-protect
> tabs and wishes hard disks (and solid-state drives) came with write-protect
> toggle switches.
> FYI, full-size SD cards have a write-protect capability.

There are options in the standard.   The host responsibility
context is the common one and too easy to subvert.

4.3.6 Write Protect Management Three write protect methods are supported in
the SD Memory Card as follows:
 - Mechanical write protect switch (Host responsibility only)
 - Card internal write protect (Card's responsibility)
 - Password protection card lock operation.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l