[Cryptography] trojans in your printers

Christian Huitema huitema at huitema.net
Fri Feb 27 18:26:08 EST 2015

On Friday, February 27, at 2015 1:38 PM, Henry Baker wrote:

> At 12:53 PM 2/27/2015, Tom Mitchell wrote:
> >On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 6:31 AM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com>
> wrote:
> >Perhaps the safest configuration would be to buy a
> >cheap ($25) travel router & attach the printer to
> >this router via USB. Reflash the router code with
> >OpenWRT, and have the router manage the printer.
> >
> >OpenWRT today wants a better than cheap travel router.
>
> OpenWRT runs just fine on my $25 TP-Link travel router with an external
USB
> flash drive to "pivot" with.

If you are that concerned with the printer, you should wrap it in tin foil
or store it in a metallic locker. Because of course it can find some Wi-Fi
connection all by itself...

As for random devices, I like the idea of having a separate subnet for the
devices, with its own SSID, address range, and no Internet connection. But
then, most of the "modern" devices require access to "the cloud." What
gives?

-- Christian Huitema