[Cryptography] trojans in your printers

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Fri Feb 27 15:53:06 EST 2015

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 6:31 AM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> At 04:32 PM 2/26/2015, John Denker wrote:
> >It seems prudent to assume that anybody who is badass
> >enough to hack your printer will not hesitate to use a
> >stolen IP address ... and MAC address.
>
> Soooo....
>
> If we don't trust our printer, then

> Perhaps the safest configuration would be to buy a
> cheap ($25) travel router & attach the printer to
> this router via USB.  Reflash the router code with
> OpenWRT, and have the router manage the printer.

OpenWRT today wants a better than cheap travel router.
But I never toss hardware.   It is moderately easy to enter
a site with a single vendor for networking solutions.   It may
pay to mix vendors at various layers.   Not because one is
better but because a script kit has to hack a longer list.

Trying to plug all the holes is hard.  But like a lock
layers of wardens can help.  In many cases knowing
you are or got hacked is the hard part.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l