[Cryptography] information, Shannon, and quantum mechanics

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Thu Feb 26 12:25:07 EST 2015

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015, Jerry Leichter wrote:

> I had done a back-of-the-envelope estimate and came up with a QM limit
> for K of somewhere between 128 and 256.  I later asked a physicist I
> knew, and he did a more accurate estimate.  It turns out that this
> hypersphere could do about 2^315 bit flips - and store about 2^315 bits
> of information.  So AES-256 "can be broken in principle" in 100 years by
> brute force - but you don't need to make the keys all that much larger
> to eliminate that possibility.  :-)

For the morbidly curious, my trusty HP-42S says it's 6.67E94 (that's a
pretty big number, as numbers go); I'm not game enough to fire up "bc" on
my Unix/Linux/Mac boxen to get all the figures...

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)