[Cryptography] trojans in your printers

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Wed Feb 25 22:11:05 EST 2015

On 02/25/2015 11:07 AM, Henry Baker wrote:

> Can anything being done to address the risks from printer-borne malware?

In the first place I am not usually printing anything, so it spends
99%+ of its time powered down and unplugged.

In the second place my printer has no need - ever - to send or recieve
a packet outside my home area network, and therefore its address does
not have a hole in the firewall, in either direction, on any port.

In the third place I did not install a wireless interface.  'Cos
back when I got it, those were separate parts that the guys tried
to sell as a premium add-on, and I didn't want it.

But since BADUSB came about, I can't even fully trust that.

Bear