[Cryptography] trojans in your printers

Dan McDonald danmcd at kebe.com
Wed Feb 25 14:42:22 EST 2015

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 11:07:49AM -0800, Henry Baker wrote:
> One of the largest attack surfaces in any home or office is the printer.

Amen to that!

> Can anything being done to address the risks from printer-borne malware?

My printer (which is functionally spectacular, but carries all the risks you
mentioned) is on my local home network with a static IP address, and more
importantly, has no off-link route (default or otherwise) in its tables.  (I
also disable the wifi and only use its wired ethernet... I should confirm
that when I get home).  It's hard for it to phone anywhere when it can't get
packets off the local-LAN.

If you compromise my home network, I have larger problems than JUST the
printer being malicious.  Isn't it all about risk-assessment at the end of
the day, anyway?

Dan