[Cryptography] My ignorance and drive firmware hacking

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Feb 25 13:41:44 EST 2015

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015, Peter Gutmann wrote:

> It doesn't necessarily need to be rewritable to deal with a firmware
> corruption issue, it could just be a case of swapping out the controller
> board with one from another drive of the same model, which used to be a
> standard means of dealing with failed controller issues.

I am having flash-backs of QIC-150 drives, which we then called QIC-75
drives, because that was all that they ever did, if they saw some sort of
a leader on the tape...

The supplier acknowledged that the firmware was busted, but I never did
get a replacement EPROM from them.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)