[Cryptography] My ignorance and drive firmware hacking

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Feb 25 01:55:49 EST 2015

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015, Robert L Wilson wrote:

[...]

> So I wondered whether the firmware had simply changed due to some random
> glitch, we can always imagine a cosmic ray loosing a flash of electrons
> into a chip. I also wondered whether it was "malware" from some bad guy.
> Then I heard that many (I think thousands) of similar drives had failed
> in the same way. Now I have to wonder if it was somebody just learning
> to plant things in the firmware and not getting it quite right. Maybe I
> was better off losing the drive than having them succeed in planting
> something with more disastrous effects!

Wasn't there a discussion on this list about e.g. IBM being caught out
with beta-emitters in the chip substrate?  Nothing malicious; it was just
sub-standard material being used.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)