[Cryptography] information, Shannon, and quantum mechanics

Watson Ladd watsonbladd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 13:26:44 EST 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 6:59 AM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:
> At 04:59 PM 2/23/2015, John Denker wrote:
>>> We still don't know what a bit _weighs_;
>>
>>The short answer is zero.
>
> Bzzzt!
>
> If you had mentioned the word "Bekenstein", we might be able to have a conversation.

No, Denker is right. You can perform a reversible computation with
zero entropy gain. Even if you erase a bit, that might not cost
energy, but can cost entropy. See for example
http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/royprsa/early/2011/01/07/rspa.2010.0577.full.pdf.

Sincerely,
Watson Ladd

-- Benjamin Franklin