[Cryptography] Lenovo laptops with preloaded adware and an evil CA

Dave Howe DaveHowe at gmx.co.uk
Sat Feb 21 09:09:24 EST 2015

On 20/02/2015 09:01, Stephan Neuhaus wrote:
> On 2015-02-20 02:37, William Muriithi wrote:
>> Crazy
>>
>> Really, how can Lenovo fall for this?
>
> I think the chain of events went somewhat like this:

You are overthinking it.
It probably went more like this:

<Microsoft> & <Symantec> & <Superfish>:
  Stick this software on your consumer builds and we will pay you; sure
it will annoy your customers but hey, free money!

<lenovo>: Sure, sounds good to us

-- time passes, Lenovo gets paid --

<Microsoft>,<Symantec>:
  Look at how horrible this is - Lenovo put software on their consumer
build laptops and DIDN'T CHECK WHAT IT DID