Sony to Offer ‘Premium Sound’ Memory Card

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Fri Feb 20 11:33:48 EST 2015

FYI -- From the company that brought you the rootkit CD's...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

You just have to wonder what sort of superfish crapware comes embedded in this uSD card firmware.  Anyone who spends $160 for a 64GB uSD card is already on the Nigerian email shortlist; I would guess that the builtin password is "sucker".

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/02/19/sony-to-offer-premium-sound-memory-card/?mod=WSJBlog

2:19 am ET Feb 19, 2015

Sony to Offer ‘Premium Sound’ Memory Card

By Takashi Mochizuki

For audio freaks, the quest to reduce noise never ends, even if it means sometimes paying a high price for equipment–-say, $1,000 for a one-meter audio cable.

Sony Corp. has been more than happy to try to cater to their passion for clean sound, offering a $1,200 Walkman and other high-resolution audio technology, including high-end headphones and wireless speakers.

Now comes a memory card engineered for sound quality.  Beginning next month, the 64 gigabyte SR-64HXA micro SDXC memory card will be sold for around $160 in Japan, roughly five times the cost of a standard card with the same amount of storage.  The SR-64HXA produces less electrical noise when reading data, the company says.

Will many people buy it? Even Sony doesn’t know.

“We aren’t that sure about the product’s potential demand, but we thought some among people who are committed to great sound quality would want it,” a Sony spokeswoman said.