[Cryptography] Lenovo laptops with preloaded adware and an evil CA

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Thu Feb 19 14:07:49 EST 2015

On 02/18/2015 11:48 PM, Christian Barcenas wrote:

> While preloaded adware is bad enough, Superfish does something even
> worse: to allow itself to MITM SSL-/TLS-protected web traffic, it
> installs a CA into the Windows trusted root certificate store. This CA
> is apparently pre-generated and its corresponding private key comes
> with every installation of Superfish. Furthermore, uninstalling
> Superfish does not remove this CA, so all users running
> Lenovo's tainted Windows installation are affected, even if they took
> the time to uninstall Superfish.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Attached are:
 -- The highly-compromised private key for "superfish" rogue CA.
 -- The self-signed CA certificate.
 ++ A /revocation/ for the aforementioned certificate.

I reckon the revocation needs to be distributed widely, the
sooner the better.  Perhaps some folks on this list can help
with that.