[Cryptography] A better random number generator...

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Wed Feb 18 19:47:46 EST 2015

A talk at Stanford:
The video will be online later...

Talk by:
*Melissa O'Neill Harvey Mudd College*
Algorithmic random number generators are everywhere, used for all kinds of
tasks, from simulation to computational creativity.

Yet most people haven't given much thought to the random number generators
they use. Is the RNG you're using a good source of randomness? What does it
even mean to be a good RNG?

In this talk, we will examine the desirable properties of a random number
generator including performance, correctness, uniformity, and
unpredictability, as well as sound mathematical grounding.

We will observe how the RNGs in widespread use lack desirable properties
(most commonly failing statistical tests for randomness).

Then we will show how a simple twist on a venerable-but-flawed RNG
technique can provide all the properties we desire, resulting in the PCG
family of RNGs.

http://web.stanford.edu/class/ee380/Abstracts/150218.html

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l