[Cryptography] trojans in the firmware

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Feb 18 01:49:20 EST 2015

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015, Henry Baker wrote:

> I (and most everyone else, as well) no longer care about booting from
> "hard" disks.  Everyone boots from flash memories these days.

Unless your meaning of "boots from flash memories" differs from mine, then
I don't.

My Mac has a real disk.  My FreeBSD server has a real disk.  My Debian
lapdog has a real disk.  The only outsider is my ancient EeePC-701, which
I haven't switched on for ages (and even then, it ran M0n0wall).

Heck, even my old CP/M stuff uses floppy...

Of course, if you're going to argue that an EPROM/EEPROM/etc (or even a
diode matrix, or on the CDC series a switch panel) then that's a different
argument.

Please don't make bald assertions such as "Everyone does this" or "Nobody
does that", otherwise you will be demonstrably incorrect.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)